Letho's Blog

Uluru and Kata Tjuta – Day 2

by on Dez.06, 2010, under The Outback

Dec 6, 2010

Our second day in the Kata Tjutas started extremely early. We wanted to see the sunrise at Uluru, and the sun was supposed to ascend between 5-5.30am. So we got up at 5am, jumped in the car and literally flew to the entry gate of the Kata Tjuta National Park… now imagine our bewilderment, when we arrived there, only to see it was not open yet! Wasn’t it supposed to open at 5am?

There were a few other people in cars, waiting in the front with the same amount of bafflement. What was going on here? Looking at the clock behind the counter we found the solution: the Northern Territory has not adopted daylight saving time .. so we actually had gotten up an hour to early and had to wait another half hour for the gates to open. Argh!

We improvised and re-arranged our day schedule: going to see the Kata Tjutas sunrise, aka as The Olgas, instead. It’s another half hour drive, but since we were so early we had enough time today to make it there. Similar to the evening clouds the day before we had some morning clouds as well, but still it was an awesome view from the Sunrise Viewing platform. Quite popular as well, a couple bus-loads of other spectators were there for it as well.

Enjoy this amazing panorama:

Kata Tjuta Sunrise

Kata Tjuta Sunrise

Since the time was right for us early-birds to do some hiking under mild conditions, we directly followed up with the Valley of the Winds walk, a partially steep and moderately difficult track. We wandered into and around the gorges and mountain tops and had quite a few amazing views:

We made a short clip for you near the end of the walk:

The walk was nearly 8 kilometers long, but it was still early enough to do another walk nearby afterwards: the Walpa Gorge Walk. It leads you directly into Walpa Gorge where you will find very rare plants and some vegetation that is completely unique to this place. And it was much shorter, only 2 kilometers long.

We were finished at about midday. It was already steaming hot by now, so we were glad to go back to Ayers Rock Resort and find a cool and shady place and have a nap in the tent. When we returned, however, we found it could not cope with the heat – still standing, but some of the plastic rods were partially melted away. Thank you not so much, Aussie Disposal, for selling camping gear that’s unable to withstand local weather conditions…

However, the rest of the day was filled with pure relaxation and a yummy diner.

Diner after 10 kilometers

Diner after 10 kilometers

Leave a Reply

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can take care of it!